UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH OF JACKSONVILLE
Mission of the Board: The Board is responsible, directly or through delegation, for leading our Church to carry out our congregation’s mission. We supervise and accept responsibility for the stewardship of the Church’s financial and business operations, human resources management, the use and maintenance of its property, and the policies and procedures under which its programs operate. We ensure that these policies and procedures are consistent with our Unitarian Universalist Principles. We serve our congregation and strive to make decisions that will enable our organization to be a vital spiritual and social force today and in the future.
- We, the members of the Board of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Jacksonville, agree to enter into this covenant, promising one another our mutual trust and support to carry out our responsibilities.
- We will make decisions to carry out the goals and objectives of our Church with concern for its overall vitality. We will be guided by long range planning, balancing the needs and challenges of our members, programs, staff, facilities, and finances.
- We will treat each other, Board member, paid staff, or Congregant, with respect.
- We will communicate electronically where practical, and Board members will access their email accounts at least twice weekly and respond to email requests from other Board members promptly.
- We will actively look for all points of view on important issues.
- We will honor dissenting views, agreeing to disagree, when discussing issues within the Board.
- We will strive for consensus within Board meetings and refrain from lobbying others outside of Board meetings. Once all of our opinions have been heard and a decision has been made, we will speak with one voice or not at all.
- When we feel we cannot support a Board decision, we will work with the other members of the Board to express our point of view in a constructive way.
- We will maintain confidentiality when requested.
- We will come prepared, and we are all responsible for using our time together efficiently.
- We will each read the agenda materials before each meeting.
- We will inform the Board President if we are unable to attend a meeting.
- We will begin and end meetings on time, and each keep our comments to the point during the meeting.
- Each member will note and follow up on areas they have committed to.
- Any member with an agenda item will notify the President at least one week prior to the next Board meeting.
- The President will send out an agenda and supporting documents at least seven days before the next meeting.
- We respect the freedom of speech and the responsibility of our positions. We will not use contemptuous or critical speech about our fellow members, Congregants or paid Staff.
- We will be supportive of each other’s efforts, and will give freely of encouragement and praise.